PB & J again?
Are you and your child tired of making the same thing for lunch everyday?
Try these helpful suggestions by our contributing healthy living expert LIane Cox Tomich to get you out of the everyday lunch routine and encourage your child to try new foods.
- Buy Thermos containers to keep hot food hot and cold food cold –Use hot containers for macaroni and cheese, soup, turkey meatballs, pasta, scrambled eggs, oatmeal –Use cold containers for frozen fruit, yogurt, milk, fruit salad, smoothies
- Include applesauce, fruit cups and canned fruit
- Include dried fruit
- Have children prepare fruit salads the night before
- Stuff pitas with vegetables, chopped chicken, cheese and dip
- Include a bag of dried cereal or air-popped popcorn
- Include trail mix
- Make sure to include water
- Small whole wheat bagel with reduced-fat cheese and peanut butter plus fresh fruit
- Scrambled eggs made in the microwave with vegetables and cheese served on a whole wheat muffin •Multigrain waffle
- Cooked oatmeal
- Yogurt, fruit and granola
- Whole grain cereal with fruit and milk
- Vanilla wafer sandwich (wafers with cream cheese in the middle)
- Banana, pumpkin, zucchini, cranberry bread